Thursday, August 23, 2012

Bell Bottom Blues

I never get rid of old jeans, no matter how worn or stained they are. There are so many things you can do with them.

When my son was small (was that just yesterday?) his room theme was "farm".  I bought red and white check tablecoths and used them for bedspreads on his twin beds, used denim for the curtains and bandanas for the tie backs. Hung the curtains with clothespins. So cute!  I took old jeans and made a bag to hang on his headboard to hold favorite books, remote control, pencils and crayons, and Game Boy. I attached an old suspender of his dad's to it and that is what straps the bag to the headboard (or chair). It was really cute. And actually, he is still using it. I took a pair of jeans and made a shoe holder by just putting a seam across each leg at 4 levels and cut slits above the seam, just high enough that a shoe could be slipped into the opening.  It was very cute.  My husband said I should have trademarked it!  LOL He has such faith in me. 


Anyway, I have this plastic tub full of jeans and was looking for ideas for using them to make a quilt and dust ruffle (hate to use that term for a boy's room) and I came across a lot of cute ideas for jean uses.  Thought I would share them with you.

Reuse Recycle Repurpose Denim has some great ideas. I especially love the denim pots that come from My Recycled Bags.
Rennie Hunt Henry has a Pinterest page of all things denim, with so many cool ideas!  You need to check it out.  I could wander around it all day.

Here is something like what I am planning, but I want to incorporate his favorite old t-shirts into it as well. (The t-shirts could make up the "dust ruffle" maybe???)  This is from Haute Nature .  I would like to use the pockets on pillows. 
Please share any denim quilting ideas you might have, or other ideas to recycle old jeans!  I welcome suggestions and shares!!!!

Sitting here, wondering what my old friend and roommate did with the most awesome pair of jeans I have ever seen. A friend of hers embroidered the legs (back in the 70s) and I always wanted those jeans, but was never small enough to fit into them!  Wonder what she did with them. They would make a beautiful recycling project....or exhibit in a museum!

No comments: