Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Red Hats are coming, the Red Hats are coming!

My mother and sister-in law are Red Hat ladies.  And, technically, my sister and I are members of their little circle, but we seldom get to go.  The times that I have been, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Those ladies have so much fun and eat really well, too!  I love seeing all the deep purples and bright reds, the pretty hats, the wild and crazy hats, the boas and bags. The ladies love to get new things---anything bearing purple and red hats.  The ladies in this circle love to give each other little gifts...all the time.  So, when Stampin' Up came out with Red Hat stamps, I had to have a set.  I have made sets of notecards and greeting cards for my mother and sister-in-law, as well as sets for them to give to their Secret Pals.  The stamp set has helped me make the cutest table decorations, and party favors, which these party-animal ladies love to have at each and every gathering!

The stationary was fun to make and brought smiles to many faces, but what I really enjoyed was making Red Hat cigar box purses.  I started making these long before the stamp sets came out, so I had to draw the hats (and I am NOT an artist, by any means) that I decoupaged onto the purses.  My mother LOVED the purses and was so excited to take hers to the meeting because she knew it was one of a kind, and no one else would have one.  

Designing the purses was a lot of fun.  Sometimes less is better, but not in the case of Red Hat accessories. For every red bead, it is good to add two purple sequins!  This is one of those projects that easily snowballs....and the Red Hat ladies love an avalanche! I started out just transforming a cigar box into a purse and decorating it, and ended up not only elaborately decorating the inside, but added a pill/lipstick case, a beaded pen, and a compact.  I sold several of them at Mule Day and some more at an antique store in Bainbridge during the holidays and donated a couple for raffles at school carnivals and one for a church bazaar.

I don't know if Stampin' Up still sells the Red Hat stamp sets and rollers, but one of my favorite Stampin' Up demonstrators could tell you. If you are looking for that or any other craft supplies, contact Terri Christiano.



 
            

Aren't they adorable?  I have got to get some more made before Christmas!

No comments: